Welcome to the Whatsappen.com WhatsApp Help. This section will be extended soon.
When I travel abroad / overseas, will I be charged for data roaming?
WhatsApp Messenger uses the same internet data plan that you use for web and email. If you would normally get cellular data roaming charges when traveling abroad / overseas for email and web usage, WhatsApp would be no different. Of course WhatsApp would be free to use over a Wi-Fi connection. To confirm that your data roaming is disabled, go into Settings > Wireless & networks > Mobile networks > Data Roaming and make sure it is disabled.
What is the Task Manager error during install?
There are three problems with 3rd party task killers:
- Android OS 2.1 only: task killers can permanently kill WhatsApp - this causes individuals to lose messages that they would have otherwise expected to receive.
- All Android phones: task killers can temporarily kill WhatsApp - this causes disconnects and reconnects to our server which drain the battery of your Android phone.
- All Android phones: if the task-killer closes the application, our server has no way of knowing that the connection is closed. This means that message delivery can be impacted. Rest assured the message will be delivered but it could be delayed by several minutes as a result.
Please delete your 3rd party task killer. WhatsApp checks for:
- Advanced Task Killer by ReChild
- Advanced Task Manager by Cyrket / Arron
- TasKiller by Cyrket / Arron
- Task Manager by Adao
In Android 2.1 and later versions, the need for a task killer is greatly diminished. It's easier to recommend that you uninstall task killers. If you really want to take the risk, you can install a task killer AFTER you have completed the initialization process on WhatsApp.
I am not able to see WhatsApp contacts. Why?
Some people have problems getting friends to appear in the WhatsApp Contacts list. To troubleshoot this, try following steps:
- Make sure that you have your friend's phone number in your address book
- Make sure that your friend is using WhatsApp Messenger.
- Make sure that you have the latest version of WhatsApp. You can download it from http://www.whatsapp.com/download
- In your android phone book, make sure that all contact accounts (i.e. SIM, Google, Phone) are "visible" or "viewable"
- In your android phone book, make sure that all contact groups (i.e. Friends, Family) are "visible" or "viewable"
- It's recommended that you make your contacts "not visible" and then "visible" to force a refresh. After doing this launch WhatsApp > menu button > New > menu button > Refresh
As an alternative, you can use all your contacts, not just the "visible" ones. To do this:
- Go to the Contacts Help screen: From the main Chats screen, tap [Menu button] > New > [Menu button] > Help
- Scroll down and tap the "Show Invisible Contacts" button
- If you have any invisible contacts, a checkbox will appear. Make sure that it is checked.
What BlackBerry devices do you support?
WhatsApp supports all modern BlackBerry devices as long as they are running BlackBerry OS 4.6 or newer.
Does WhatsApp work with BB Enterprise Server (BES) and BB Internet Service (BIS)?
Yes, WhatsApp works with both BIS and BES, as long as the IT policy of your BlackBerry device will not get in the way.
Do I have to pay to re-install WhatsApp on my BlackBerry?
No, simply download it again from http://www.whatsapp.com/ota/.
I get strange application permission errors, how can I fix them?
If you get "Uncaught exception: net.rim.device.api.system.ControlledAccessException" error, it is possible that you did not grant proper permissions to WhatsApp or that your settings got corrupted. To fix the problem:
- Go into Settings > Options > Advanced Options (if your OS is pre-5.0) and select 'Applications' menu.
- Choose WhatsApp and select Edit Permissions
- Set WhatsApp Permissions to Allow and Save
- After saving new permissions, reboot your BlackBerry by removing battery from the device
If you are still having problems performing the above steps, go to Options -> Security Options -> Firewall, and select Reset Firewall from the menu. Be sure to Save and reboot your BlackBerry by removing battery from it for 30 seconds.
Why can't I send emoticons/smileys?
You need operating system 5.0 or higher to send emoticons/smileys. All operating system 4.6 and 4.7 can be upgraded to 5.0. You should check with your service provider on how to upgrade your device.
What is WhatsApp Messenger?
WhatsApp Messenger is a cross-platform mobile messenger that replaces SMS and works through the existing internet data plan of your device. WhatsApp is available for iPhone, BlackBerry, Android, Windows Phone, Nokia Symbian60 & S40 phones. Because WhatsApp Messenger uses the same internet data plan that you use for email and web browsing, there is no cost to message and stay in touch with your friends. WhatsApp synchronizes with the phone’s contact’s book, so users do not need to add every single contact.
How is WhatsApp Messenger different from SMS?
SMS is an older messaging system with a limited functionality and high cost. WhatsApp Messenger aims to provide more at a lower cost. WhatsApp can be used to share photos, movies and audio with friends and to organize a groupchat! Also you’re textmessages are not limited to a small number of signs, like SMS.
Are phone calls free when using WhatsApp?
No, the "Call" functionality is there simply for your convenience. Mobile carrier charges apply for voice calls made from WhatsApp.
Why use the status functionality of WhatsApp?
You can use the Status functionality of WhatsApp to inform your contacts about your mobile availability or anything else you'd like.
I changed my phone number, how can I update WhatsApp?
Step 1: update your WhatsApp status with new phone number. Step 2: delete WhatsApp and re-install and register with your new phone number.
WhatsApp needs my phone number. Why?
WhatsApp routes chat messages between you and your contacts via your phone number, similar to how the regular SMS system would.
What does "last seen" and "online" mean?
This time simply indicates the state of the device network connection and not if the application is actively in use. For example, on some operating systems such as BlackBerry and Android, the phone will connect on its own if it has a new incoming message even if the phone is not in active use at the moment.
What Apple devices are supported by WhatsApp
WhatsApp supports all iPhone devices no matter how old or new, as long they are running iPhone OS 4.3 and up. There is no iPod or iPad support at the moment.
My iPhone is jailbroken and WhatsApp crashes when I first run it?
This must be because you have the Net.-Local Number Format package installed from Cydia. This package seems to break the standard iPhone APIs which our application depends on. Simply delete this package and re-install it after WhatsApp is configured and running on your iPhone. Another, and much simpler, solution is to clear the country code field, enter your phone number and select your country code before continuing.
Help, my Push Notifications are broken!
There could be a few reasons you are not getting push notifications.
The first reason, and the easiest one to fix, is that you simply have notifications disabled in the iPhone Settings:
- Launch iPhone Settings and tap on the Notifications menu
- Make sure that WhatsApp Notifications are turned On for the Badges, Alerts, and Sounds:
- After enabling push notifications for WhatsApp in the iPhone Settings, you MUST turn OFF your iPhone for 30 seconds.
- Now launch WhatsApp so that it can register itself with Apple Push Notifcation Services. After performing all of the above steps, you should be all set.
However... if you are one of the unlucky ones who are still having problems after performing the steps above, AND you are connected via Wi-Fi, there are two additional steps you can try to resolve the issue:
- First step is contacting your network administrator and confirming that port 5223/TCP is not blocked by the Wi-Fi firewall. You can point your network administrator at the Knowledge Base HT3576
- Second step is changing the DNS servers your Wi-Fi network is currently utilizing and replacing them with 18.104.22.168,22.214.171.124:
After changing DNS servers, you MUST turn OFF your iPhone for 30 seconds.
Still having problems? The last and final thing you can do is to perform the following steps:
Create a backup of your iPhone with iTunes. You can learn more about backing up your iPhone at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766
Erase all your data and settings from your iPhone via Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings
Upgrade to latest iPhone OS (currently version 4.2)
Restore all your personal data that you backed-up in step 1.
Make a sacrifice to the Push Notification Gods and turn on your iPhone.
Special note ONLY for those who have an unlocked iPhone which was never activated with Apple via iTunes: to learn more about your push notification problem, take a look at this thread or just google for push+fix+iphone. Also take a look at the FAQ entry below:
My iPhone is unlocked and/or jailbroken and push doesn't work
If your iPhone is unlocked and/or jailbroken and it was never properly activated with Apple, it is very common for those iPhones to have broken push notifications. You should head over to http://www.pushfix.info/ to get that resolved. There is also a very nice page with many solutions to the problems jailbroken/unlocked iPhone users can experience: http://pushfix.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35. Be sure to delete and re-install a fresh copy of the application on your device after applying a pushfix solution!
How can i get emoticons and smileys in WhatsApp?
You can download a free Emoji app from iTunes AppStore by going to http://www.whatsapp.com/e.
My iPhone contacts are listed twice, why?
Take a look at the http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3677 article on how to solve the issue with duplicate contacts.
How do I send media on the iPhone?
Tap on the blue (arrow up) icon.
How do I block a contact?
You can block a contact in two ways. First way is via Block button which is displayed when you get a message from somebody who is not in your address book:
Second way is WhatsApp > Settings > Chat Settings > Block menu
Why do I see duplicate contacts in WhatsApp?
Please take a look at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3677 article on how to resolve this issue.
Can I log out from WhatsApp and disconnect?
No. The Nokia version of the application is designed to always be online and connected. If you are concerned about your data usage, please sign up for unlimited internet data plan to take full advantage of the service.
If you are having battery issues with your Nokia devce, please try the following:
Make sure you always have strong 3G/UMTS signal, otherwise disable 3G/UMTS in Menu > Ctrl. panel > Settings and Phone > Network
Disable GPS in Menu > Ctrl. panel > Settings and General > Positioning
Disable Bluetooth in Menu > Ctrl. panel and Connectivity >Bluetooth
Disable Wi-Fi in Menu > Ctrl. panel > Settings and Connection > Wireless LAN > Show WLAN availability > Never
Remove access points you no longer use or need.
Make sure you have installed the latest version from http://www.whatsapp.com/nokia/ and reboot your Nokia phone by removing battery from it for 30 seconds.
Decrease the brightness of the screen
Purchase a new battery from Nokia store as old batteries on older phones have problems with keeping strong power charge